So, you are wondering about security guard duties! Security officers discourage illegal activities and keep people safe. The nature of their work, functions and responsibilities differ depending on the expectations and rules of their employer. If you are thinking about starting a career as a security guard, here are some standards that may appear on each guard post description.
- YOU SHOULD POSSESS A DRIVER’S LICENSE
- YOU SHOULD BE CAPABLE OF LIFTING UP TO 50 POUNDS.
- YOU SHOULD HAVE CPR CERTIFICATION.
- YOU MUST BE CAPABLE OF SITTING OR STANDING FOR LONG HOURS.
- YOU MUST BE CAPABLE OF COMPLETING REQUIRED PAPERWORK AND REPORTING INCIDENTS.
Being a security guard, you could have a variety of duties depending on where you would be assigned. Generally, armed security guards are deployed in banks, commercial properties, jewelry stores, money changer shops and some offices. Others are stationed at exits and entrances of a building where necessary checking of those who are entering and going out are done. Listed are just some of the security guard duties that are often being imposed by most employers.
- TO DISSUADE CRIME OR DISCOVER CRIMES IN ACTION.
- TO COOPERATE WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS REGARDING INVESTIGATIONS WHEN NEEDED OR REQUIRED.
- TO CALL LAW ENFORCEMENT ASSISTANCE OR PARAMEDICS WHEN NEEDED.
- TO OBSERVE ALARMS GOING OFF AS WELL AS ANY OTHER WARNINGS.
- TO PERFORM CHECKS AND SECURITY INSPECTIONS ON GATES, DOORS, WINDOWS AND OTHER AREAS POSSIBLE FOR TRESPASSERS TO USE IN GAINING ILLEGAL ACCESS.
- TO UNDERSTAND AND EXECUTE EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS PLANS, WHICH INCLUDE BUILDING EVACUATION.
- TO TAKE NECESSARY ACTIONS THAT CAN HELP CORRECT ANYTHING THAT COULD BE DEEMED AS SAFETY OR SECURITY HAZARDS.
- TO PATROL SURROUNDING AREA OR A BUILDING TO PREVENT VANDALS, BURGLARS AND TRESPASSERS.
The functions and roles that a security guard may play can at times be sorted out into being static or patrol oriented. It could be any of the two. Security guards work part-time or full time and what is so attractive with this kind of job is you can work flextime. However, the job, of course, has its safety risks and that is why training is important especially in using firearms.
As a security guard, you can work for the private sector or could be for government agencies. You may be employed by security companies but others are enlisted directly for the party, in which services must be rendered. A lot of security guards are assigned to work in malls, stores, financial institutions, pubs, clubs and other public places. Educational requirement is not strict but most states require at least a high school diploma.
Although security guards can be trained by the employer, there are a few vocational schools that are offering security courses. There are many security guard duties that you may come upon. The listed ones are just what are often being required.
As mentioned earlier, what you will be tasked to do will depend on your employer and where you will be assigned. It can be an advantage for you to have previous law enforcement field experience or a criminal justice degree. Most with these sorts of qualifications are often promoted and paid more.