Why work for SafeTech?
At SafeTech, our people are the essence of our success. Over the last 20 years Safe Tech has served people in the GTA and Southern Ontario from our down town North York Head office located @ Yonge and Sheppard. We are a fully integrated security solutions provider offering many employment opportunities across Ontario. Our core values are integrity, excellence, performance and responsibility to our customers and the communities we serve.
We offer our employees an immense range of exciting, rewarding and long term career opportunities where they can really make a difference in a meaningful way. You simply won’t find the variety and diversity of career opportunities anywhere else. All of our employees are trusted to positively impact the security and safety concerns of our customers and society.
We offer a variety of interesting and unique career opportunities in a winning organization, as well as the opportunity to work with other talented individuals to develop potential.
Safe Tech Security is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to representing the diverse communities we serve.
SafeTech Careers – Apply Online
General Rules and Regulations:
- SECURITY OFFICERS MUST REMAIN ON SITE AT ALL TIMES. SECURITY OFFICERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE SITE AT ANY TIME FOR ANY PERSONAL REASON WITHOUT NOTIFYING SUPERVISOR. PLEASE BE ADVISED SECURITY GUARDS ARE ALLOWED TO TAKE 30 MINUTES PAID MEAL BREAKS FOR SHIFTS THAT ARE OVER FIVE HOURS. HOWEVER, FOR THE DURATION OF THIS BREAK ALL GUARDS ARE REQUIRED TO; (1) REMAIN AT THE PREMISES (2) MUST NOT SLEEP, AND (3) MUST RESPOND TO ANY AND ALL EMERGENCIES AND ANY OTHER SITUATION THAT REQUIRES THEIR ATTENTION.
- ALL SECURITY OFFICERS MUST ARRIVE AT RESPECTIVE WORK SITES 15 MINUTES PRIOR TO SHIFT.
- ALL SECURITY OFFICERS ASSIGNED TO A REMOTE LOCATION AND/OR CONSTRUCTION SITES MUST WEAR SAFETY BOOTS, EMERGENCY TORCH, CELL PHONE AND ANY OTHER TOOLS OR EQUIPMENT REQUESTED BY SAFE TECH OR THE SITE CONTACTOR / SUPERVISOR.
- ALL SECURITY OFFICERS MUST BE IN FULL UNIFORM. ALL SECURITY OFFICERS SHOULD BE NEATLY GROOMED AND MUST MAINTAIN A PROFESSIONAL APPEARANCE AT ALL TIME WHEN ON DUTY.
- ALL SECURITY OFFICERS MUST CARRIY A VALID SECURITY LICENSE AT ALL TIMES.
- SECURITY OFFICERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE BEHIND PERSONAL PROPERTY AT THE CONCLUSION OF THEIR SHIFT.
- SECURITY OFFICERS MUST CALL THEIR GUARD SUPERVISOR OR THE SAFE TECH OFFICE NO LESS THAN 8 HOURS PRIOR TO THE START OF THEIR SHIFT IF THEY INTEND TO NOT WORK THEIR SHIFT. IN CASE OF SICKNESS ALL SECURITY OFFICERS MUST PROVIDE TO SAFE TECH A DOCTOR’S NOTE OR PROOF OF HOSPITALIZATION.
Other Rules and Regulations:
- SECURITY OFFICERS WHILE ON DUTY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE ANY KIND OF PERSONAL ELECTRONIC DEVICE FOR PERSONAL USE UNLESS IT IS AN EMERGENCY.
- SECURITY OFFICERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO READ NEWSPAPERS, MAGAZINES, BOOKS, ETC. WHILE ACTUALLY PERFORMING DUTIES.
- SECURITY OFFICERS MUST NOT ENGAGE IN ANY UNNECESSARY CONVERSATIONS WITH ON SITE PERSONNEL.
- SECURITY OFFICERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BRING LAPTOP, MEDIA PLAYER, AUDIO DEVICES OR ANY KIND OF ELECTRONIC ENTERTAINMENT DEVICES AT SITE.
- SECURITY OFFICERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE ANY KIND OF GIFTS, FOOD, BEVERAGE OR DONATION/MONEY FROM ANY ON SITE PERSONNEL EXCEPT MANAGEMENT.
- SECURITY OFFICERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO VISIT THE SITE UNLESS ON DUTY. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT ANY OFF DUTY OFFICER ON SITE WILL BE CONSIDER TO BE TRESPASSING UNLESS INVITED BY THE PROPERTY MANAGEMENT.
Security Service Protocol
- ALL SECURITY OFFICERS MUST COMPLETE A ‘TOUR OF DUTY’ FOR EACH SHIFT PERFORMED. THE ‘TOUR OF DUTY’ REPORT MUST BE UPDATED EVERY 15 MINUTES. ALL REPORTS MUST BE WRITTEN IN BLACK INK PEN AND IN CAPITAL LETTERS.
- SECURITY OFFICERS MUST CONDUCT REGULAR FOOT PATROLS THAT ENCOMPASS THE ENTIRE PERIMETER. PATROLS MUST TAKE PLACE EVERY HALF HOUR.
- SECURITY OFFICERS MUST KEEP ENTRANCE AND EXIT AREAS UNDER CLOSE SURVEILLANCE. ENSURE THAT ALL DOORS, WINDOWS AND LOCKS ARE CHECKED AND SECURED.
- ON A DAILY BASIS SECURITY OFFICERS MUST INSPECT ELECTRICAL ROOM, SPRINKLER ROOM, GARBAGE ROOM, COMMUNICATION ROOM, ELEVATOR ROOM AND ALL OTHER IMPORTANT AREAS REQUESTED BY MANAGEMENT. ANY IRREGULARITIES, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR POTENTIAL RISKS MUST BE IMMEDIATELY REPORTED TO THE GUARD SUPERVISOR, SITE MANAGEMENT AND OUR 24/7 CENTRAL DISPATCH. IN ADDITION, THE SECURITY OFFICER MUST COMPLETE A MAINTENANCE REPORT OF THE INCIDENT TO SITE MANAGEMENT.
- SECURITY OFFICERS MUST CONTACT POLICE AND SAFE TECH CENTRAL DISPATCH WHEN AN EMERGENCY SITUATION DEVELOPS I.E. VIOLENT, SOMEONE THREATENING OTHERS WITH BODILY HARM, THE PRESENCE OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS THAT MAY IN DANGER THE PUBLIC.
- SECURITY OFFICER MUST BRING TO THE ATTENTION OF MANAGEMENT AND SAFE TECH ANY INCIDENT WHICH SHOULD BE RECORDED WITHIN AN INCIDENT REGISTER, PARTICULARLY WHERE PHYSICAL FORCE WAS USED BY OR AGAINST THE SECURITY OFFICER.
- PROPER NOTICE MUST BE GIVEN BEFORE ENTERING A PRIVATE SUITE. ALL SECURITY OFFICERS ARE RESTRICTED FROM ENTERING A PRIVATE SUITE ALONE.
- ALL SECURITY OFFICERS WHEN TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH FELLOW SECURITY OFFICERS MUST DO SO USING THE ON SITE ‘SECURITY COMMUNICATION BOOK’.
Emergency Service Protocol
- SECURITY OFFICERS MUST RESPOND IN A PROMPT AND PROFESSIONAL MANNER WHEN CONFRONTED WITH AN EMERGENCY SITUATION. SECURITY OFFICER MUST IDENTIFY IMMEDIATELY THE NATURE OF THE EMERGENCY AND CONTACT APPROPRIATE EMERGENCY RESPONSE PERSONNEL AND SAFE TECH CENTRAL DISPATCH.
- SECURITY OFFICERS MUST COMPLETE AN ‘EMERGENCY RESPONSE REPORT’ FOR EACH AND EVERY EMERGENCY SITUATION
- DURING AN EMERGENCY SITUATION, IF EMERGENCY PERSONNEL ARRIVE ON SITE ALL OF THEIR IDENTIFICATION MUST BE RECORDED IN THE ‘EMERGENCY RESPONSE REPORT’. INFORMATION INCLUDING THE TYPE, NAME AND BADGE NUMBER OF RESPONDING EMERGENCY PERSONNEL AND VEHICLE NUMBER. (I.E. POLICE, FIRE, EMS).
Security Guard Duties: What You Can Expect
So, you are wondering about security guard duties! Security officers discourage illegal activities and keep people safe. The nature of their work, functions and responsibilities differ depending on the expectations and rules of their employer. If you are thinking about starting a career as a security guard, here are some standards that may appear on each guard post description.
- YOU SHOULD POSSESS A DRIVER’S LICENSE
- YOU SHOULD BE CAPABLE OF LIFTING UP TO 50 POUNDS.
- YOU SHOULD HAVE CPR CERTIFICATION.
- YOU MUST BE CAPABLE OF SITTING OR STANDING FOR LONG HOURS.
- YOU MUST BE CAPABLE OF COMPLETING REQUIRED PAPERWORK AND REPORTING INCIDENTS.
Being a security guard, you could have a variety of duties depending on where you would be assigned. Generally, armed security guards are deployed in banks, commercial properties, jewelry stores, money changer shops and some offices. Others are stationed at exits and entrances of a building where necessary checking of those who are entering and going out are done. Listed are just some of the security guard duties that are often being imposed by most employers.
- TO DISSUADE CRIME OR DISCOVER CRIMES IN ACTION.
- TO COOPERATE WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS REGARDING INVESTIGATIONS WHEN NEEDED OR REQUIRED.
- TO CALL LAW ENFORCEMENT ASSISTANCE OR PARAMEDICS WHEN NEEDED.
- TO OBSERVE ALARMS GOING OFF AS WELL AS ANY OTHER WARNINGS.
- TO PERFORM CHECKS AND SECURITY INSPECTIONS ON GATES, DOORS, WINDOWS AND OTHER AREAS POSSIBLE FOR TRESPASSERS TO USE IN GAINING ILLEGAL ACCESS.
- TO UNDERSTAND AND EXECUTE EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS PLANS, WHICH INCLUDE BUILDING EVACUATION.
- TO TAKE NECESSARY ACTIONS THAT CAN HELP CORRECT ANYTHING THAT COULD BE DEEMED AS SAFETY OR SECURITY HAZARDS.
- TO PATROL SURROUNDING AREA OR A BUILDING TO PREVENT VANDALS, BURGLARS AND TRESPASSERS.
The functions and roles that a security guard may play can at times be sorted out into being static or patrol oriented. It could be any of the two. Security guards work part-time or full time and what is so attractive with this kind of job is you can work flextime. However, the job, of course, has its safety risks and that is why training is important especially in using firearms.
As a security guard, you can work for the private sector or could be for government agencies. You may be employed by security companies but others are enlisted directly for the party, in which services must be rendered. A lot of security guards are assigned to work in malls, stores, financial institutions, pubs, clubs and other public places. Educational requirement is not strict but most states require at least a high school diploma.
Although security guards can be trained by the employer, there are a few vocational schools that are offering security courses. There are many security guard duties that you may come upon. The listed ones are just what are often being required.
As mentioned earlier, what you will be tasked to do will depend on your employer and where you will be assigned. It can be an advantage for you to have previous law enforcement field experience or a criminal justice degree. Most with these sorts of qualifications are often promoted and paid more.